Nowadays, most children spend more time in front of a television or computer screens. The lack of physical activity and outdoor play is one of the common causes of childhood obesity. So as a parent, you should do more to embolden your child to play outdoors – and that begins with purchasing outdoor play sets.
For instance, the outdoor toys Australia from Step2 Direct offers a lot of fun and exercise for kids. But before going to a store, there are a handful of things you must bear in mind.
- Never allow kids to play with damaged or un-inflated balloons due to chucking hazards.
- Battery operated toys must include battery cases with screws firmly secured. This way, kids won’t be able to peer them open. Battery fluid and batteries pose serious dangers, such as internal bleeding, chemical burns, and choking.
- When checking an outdoor toy, make sure it is strong enough and resilient. In addition, make certain it does not have sharp ends.
- If planning to buy a riding toy, either like a wagon or rocking horse, assure it comes with safety straps or harnesses as well as secured and stable enough to avoid possible tipping.
- Avoid outdoor toys that are made of brittle, thin plastic.
- Check if the household material has been reviewed by a toxicologist. Also if necessary, look at the labeled cautionary information.
- Electric toys must be labeled with UL. This means the toys meet the safety standards given by Underwriters Laboratories.
- When checking an inline skate, scooter, skateboard, or bicycle, helmets should be included and should meet the safety standard. Other safety gears, such as shin and wrist guards, need to be included too.
- Always check the toys for possible risks and breakage.
Other guidelines for buying outdoor toys:
- As the rule of thumb, choose a toy suited to his age and developmental stage. It must be involving and interesting enough to capture his full attention.
- Avoid buying toys with moving parts that might possibly trap, cut, or pinch any body parts of the child. The toy you will be getting must be well made, solid and strong.
- Check toys for wear and tear.
- For any sporting equipment, a protective gear is always included (e.g. wrist pads and helmet).
- Outdoor play equipment requires effect-absorbing surface. Set the trampolines in the ground.
One of the most sought-after outdoor equipment, riding toys like tricycles and bikes teach children all types of motor skills. This is one of the best toy investments you could make. Your yard will appreciate its function, too.
When it comes to climbing toys, choose one with no rough ends. Also, it should be durable, unbreakable, and lightweight. Most kiddos love to jump, so take this chance to let him experiment and learn his boundaries.
If you’re in the market for the finest, cost-effective outdoor play equipment, check out for kids playhouse at Step2 Direct and enjoy the wide variety of options available.